Welcome to the Sunday Online Worship 20/09/2020 of the Eastern Region of the Riverina Presbytery. Today, this service is based on the ‘Saltbush’ service for this Sunday. It includes some pre-recorded videos prepared by the region in addition to the sermon video from ‘Saltbush’ & some YouTube videos. Most words are included or links to them are provided.
HYMN: “For the beauty of the earth”
Let us worship together, and sing if you are able, our first hymn, which is “For the beauty of the earth”, which is sung by Michelle Swift to a familiar tune.
WELCOME & CALL TO WORSHIP
The ‘Call to Worship’ and ‘Opening Prayers’, which are in the video below, are led by Rev. Keith Robinson. The words are underneath the video.
Welcome to the Sunday online worship for 20/09/2020 from the Eastern Region of the Riverina Presbytery. Today, the worship is based on the ‘Saltbush’ service for this Sunday, and will be exploring ‘sacred spaces’, particularly scared spaces in the outback.
God is near everyone. God is in every place. God is in every time. God is with us, and so we come to worship.
We light the candle as a reminder that the light of Christ is always with us.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY
As we begin our worship, let us also acknowledge the Wiradjuri people. They are the first inhabitants of our region, and part of God’s good creation. We honour them for their custodianship of the land, on which we live today.
Let us pray,
God, our Creator, whose glory fills our planet, help us to discern your vibrant presence among us and our kind in creation, especially in the rocks, the deserts and the wild world of the outback. Help us to understand those of your creatures who are suffering. Lift our spirits to rejoice with the wild world of the Outback. In the name of Christ, who reconciles and renews all things in creation. Amen.
The musical reflection for today is, “Amazing grace“, sung by Garrumul & Paul Kelly. Licensed to Youtube [note: contains images of Garrumal, who has since died].
Rev. Keith Robinson leads us in the readings from Romans 8:18-27 & Matthew 3:13-4:1.
The speaker is Rev. Tim Jensen from the Saltbush team. There is a video of the message in the window below.
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE & LORD’S PRAYER
Go to the video below for the ‘Prayer of the people’, which are led by Keith & Ros Robinson. The video includes the Lord’s Prayer & a closing blessing by Keith.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen.
WORD OF MISSION & BLESSING
May the Spirit of God, who is above all and in all and through all, fill you with the knowledge of God’s presence in Earth and the impulse of Christ within you.
Go in peace, serving Christ and loving Earth! Bless us and the people we meet along the way Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen
HYMN: “FOR YOU, DEEP STILLNESS”
The closing hymn is, “For you, deep stillness”. Words and music by Julie Perrin and Robin Mann, performed by Sharon and Robin Mann.
Today’s postlude is, “Look at the world”, by John Rutter (from Mass of the Children) & sung by the Cambridge Singers. Licensed to YouTube.
- Call to worship. Word for Worship, September 20 2020.
- Opening prayer. Season of Creation 3: UCA Synod Vic/Tas.
- Sermon, Word of mission & blessing. Saltbush service for 20/09/2020 [https://saltbushcommunity.uca.org.au/video/the-word/season-of-creation-3-outback-sacred-spaces-matthew-313-41/].
- Music videos:
Opening song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy7t2Uasqe8
Closing song: https://vimeo.com/432061818
LATEST NEWS POSTS
- Facebook FeedSelect the button ‘View post’ below for the latest 10 posts in the EasternRiverina Facebook page. This is a new page and this post will remain at the top of the lists of new posts for a trial period.
- NSW Gov Letter 14/08/2020NSW Government letter to religious leaders, 14/08/2020. The NSW Gov letter 14/08/2020 particularly discusses COVID-19 clusters in churches, singing, mask wearing, physical distancing & completion of relevant safety plans.
- COVID-19 Guidance Note 14Covid-19 Guidance Note 14 from the NSW/Act Synod of the Uniting Church in Australia.
- NSW Chief health officer letterPlease see attached letter from NSW Chief Health Officer to places of worship dated 29 Jul 2020. Note that she asks all churches to register with the NSW Government as COVID-safe.
- NSW/Act Synod Newsletter 24/07/2020NSW/Act Synod Newsletter 24/07/2020