Welcome to the Sunday Online Worship 04/10/2020 of the Eastern Region of the Riverina Presbytery. This service includes some pre-recorded videos prepared by the region in addition to some videos for music. Most words are included or links to them are provided.
HYMN: “God is love”
Let us worship together, and sing if you are able, our first hymn, which is “God is love”, from ‘Hymns of Praise.’
WELCOME & CALL TO WORSHIP
The ‘Call to Worship’ and ‘Opening Prayers’, which are in the video below, are led by Rev. Keith Robinson. The words are underneath the video.
Welcome to the Sunday online worship for 04/10/2020 from the Eastern Region of the Riverina Presbytery. Today we will be looking at what is often called, ‘The Parable of the Wicked Tenants’ and exploring what it might mean for our own life & faith journey.
The heavens & the stars tell of the glory of God. May our worship reflect God’s glory & faithfulness. May the words of our mouths and the meditations of our heart be pleasing in God’s sight.
Let us worship together our Lord, our Rock and our Redeemer!
We light the candle as a reminder that the light of Christ is always with us.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF COUNTRY
As we begin our worship, let us also acknowledge the Wiradjuri people. They are the first inhabitants of our region, and part of God’s good creation. We honour them for their custodianship of the land, on which we live today.
Let us pray,
Most Gracious God, we greet you in worship & seek to experience your presence. We come because we need to be reminded of your love and your expectations for our living. We are like the vine you planted, watered and protected. We know in our hearts that we need, want and desire your presence in our lives.
But Lord, we have dwelled in foolish ways, turning away from you to follow the desires of the world. We have sought worldly gain over the needs of our brothers and sisters. Forgive us for tagging along to the ways of the world, and turn us back to follow you.
And so we come in prayer, and listen for your Word to speak to our hearts and reveal again your desires for us. Breathe life into our praying, our speaking, our listening, that we might reach out to you, knowing that you have already enfolded us in your arms.
In Jesus, we pray. Amen.
The musical reflection for today is, “Be Still my soul“, which is sung by Kari Jobe.
Stewart Bruce from Harden Uniting Church & Rev. Keith Robinson lead us in the readings from Philippians 3:4b-14 & Matthew 21:33-46.
The speaker is Rev. Keith Robinson. There is a video of the message in the window below. The text can also be downloaded by selecting the link immediately below.
PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE & LORD’S PRAYER
Go to the video below for the ‘Prayer of the people’, which are led by the Cohen family from Cootamundra Uniting Church. This was previously recorded for Pentecost Sunday, but as it fits today’s theme & we received such good feedback on the original, we are reusing it. The video includes the Lord’s Prayer & a closing blessing by Keith.
Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread, and forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. Save us from the time of trial and deliver us from evil. For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever. Amen.
WORD OF MISSION & BLESSING
Go out into the world in peace, to love and serve the Lord. Bless us and the people we meet along the way. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.
HYMN: “‘And can it be”
The closing hymn is, “And can it be that I should gain”, and it is from the ‘Songs of Praise’ broadcast, Sun 21 Oct 2007.
Today’s postlude is “The heavens declare the glory of God” (Psalm 19, Magnum mysterium) by Chamber Choir of Europe.
- Call to worship – based on Psalm 19.
- Word of mission & blessing – Saltbush service, 04 Oct 2020.
LATEST NEWS POSTS
- Facebook FeedSelect the button ‘View post’ below for the latest 10 posts in the EasternRiverina Facebook page. This is a new page and this post will remain at the top of the lists of new posts for a trial period.
- NSW Gov Letter 14/08/2020NSW Government letter to religious leaders, 14/08/2020. The NSW Gov letter 14/08/2020 particularly discusses COVID-19 clusters in churches, singing, mask wearing, physical distancing & completion of relevant safety plans.
- COVID-19 Guidance Note 14Covid-19 Guidance Note 14 from the NSW/Act Synod of the Uniting Church in Australia.
- NSW Chief health officer letterPlease see attached letter from NSW Chief Health Officer to places of worship dated 29 Jul 2020. Note that she asks all churches to register with the NSW Government as COVID-safe.
- NSW/Act Synod Newsletter 24/07/2020NSW/Act Synod Newsletter 24/07/2020